If you are looking to eliminate any discoloration or stains on your teeth, whitening is one of the most popular options. Owing to its quick and permanent results, teeth whitening at Hinsdale Dental is a preferred cosmetic dental procedure opted by many. However, before you decide to get your teeth whitened by a professional dentist, it is first essential to understand the reasons behind such a procedure.
Why Is Teeth Whitening Needed?
Teeth discoloration is caused when the outermost layer of the tooth, the enamel, is affected. Generally, the natural color of teeth is shown off when light reflects and scatters off the enamel combined with the dentin color. The enamel’s thickness, color, and smoothness are mainly dependent on your genetics, as a thinner layer of enamel highlights the color reflection of the dentin. It is also important to note that this enamel layer is perforated, absorbing small stain-causing particles and adding a thin coating of pellicle that affects its color.
But why does it happen? Some of the most common reasons for teeth discoloration and subsequent staining include:
- Consumption of Dark-Colored Foods
- Drinking Staining Beverages
- Regular Use of Tobacco
- Improper Oral Hygience
- Aging (Intrinsic Stains)
- Tetracycline Antibiotics
- Injuries or Trauma
Teeth whitening can only fix the enamel’s discoloration and not the dentin, making it challenging to treat intrinsic stains caused by aging.
Types of Teeth Whitening
At Hinsdale Dental, teeth whitening is offered in two different methods – in-office whitening (Zoom! Whitening) and a take-home gel solution (NiteWhite ACP) dispensed into a custom-fit tray and worn at home.
- Phillips Zoom! Whitening: While most teeth whitening treatments including scarping off the protective enamel layer, we use the safe and certified Phillips Zoom to bring shine and luster back to your teeth while protecting the enamel. With visible results in a day, you can enjoy much whiter teeth in just 45 minutes.
- NiteWhite ACP Whitening: NiteWhite ACP is a take-home teeth whitening kit we offer to our patients, allowing them to maintain their bright smiles even after treatment. This revolutionary whitening technology rebuilds your enamel layer, improves the appearance, and reduces sensitivity, all with a simple application method.
It is important to note that teeth whitening is not a single-session procedure despite showing lasting results and requires regular follow-through sessions to maintain the bright white color.
Teeth Whitening and Possible Side Effects
Teeth whitening procedures are considered to be completely safe and effective as long as dentists have performed them. However, you could expect a few side effects owing to the regular exposure to whitening agents:
- Sensitive Teeth (Temporary)
- Mild Irritation in Gums
- Gum and Tooth Pain
If you are a pregnant woman, we recommend that you wait after your delivery to get a cosmetic teeth whitening procedure as the whitening gels could affect your child’s development.
Contact us today for more information on professional teeth whitening solutions!